wHAT IS a certified peer specialist?
A Certified Peer Specialist (CPS) is someone who has had mental health struggles and who has undergone training to use their lived experience with intention to inspire hope and to help others with similar experiences. Peer Specialists play a vital role in changing and improving the mental health system in ways that promote equality and reduce stigma thus helping people to feel heard and be treated fairly.
Our recovery stories are one of our greatest tools to offer hope, connection, support, and to create mutuality. Peer Support is an emerging field and one in which more research needs to be completed. I’ve begun writing about my own experiences as a peer specialist and here are some of the articles.
CORE COMPETENCIES OF PEER WORK
- Human experience language
- Cross-cultural partnering
- Group facilitation and self-help skills
- Power, conflict, and integrity
- Creating the life one wants
- Dealing with fear
- How to be a change agent and be “in” but not “of” the system